Friday, November 4, 2011

First post on my blog

This is the first post in what I hope will be a long line of rants/raves/observations about makeup. I will try not to offend anyone (but I won't lose any sleep over it). Most blogs that are makeup-focused are all about NYC, LA, pseudo-celebrities or all the above. We all know that fashion - clothing, makeup and hair is greatly influenced by the Fashion Week shows. But that size 1, 6 foot tall 14 year-old would look good in anything. And some of the makeup that is shown...really? Really?!? It seems that a lot of the makeup designers and artists have lost touch with the 85% of the country that doesn't live in NYC/LA.
My customer base ( and most likely the readers I will have) are professional women who want to be as pretty as they can be, not shocking or over-painted. And certainly not in a futuristic/avante-garde makeup  that looks costume-y. Halloween comes but once a year ( disclaimer: here, during Mardi Gras we think that purple, green and gold go GREAT together. Go figure.)
So...I will let you all know my thoughts on the trends that I see as important, as well as the ones that I feel we should let die a quiet death. I will try to showcase products that I think are interesting and worthy of at least a second look.
Please feel free to contact me and let me know if you have questions you would like answered, or anything related to makeup that you would like to hear my thoughts on.
Postings will probably not be every day, but I have a lot of opinions and will be sure to put them all out there.

To finish off my first blog post, I would like to list a few things never to say to a makeup artist:
1. I don't want my makeup all caked on (variation: I don't like my foundation to look cake-y).
    Seriously? Do you see any trowels in my brush roll?
2. I don't want to look like a clown.
    Clown makeup is considered a "character" makeup and is extra.
3. I'm in a hurry, can you just throw some makeup on me?
    No, but I will throw some at you if you like.
4. Do you do free demos? Is this included?
    Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
There will be more of these...don't want to use all the good stuff the first time.

Beauty is not magic. It is a very personal thing and should be uniquely yours. Desperation is not pretty - it is more healthy emotionally to come to grips with the fact that we change as we age and deal with it.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Even though it has been...how many years since we have lived in the same town...I moved to Dallas in the summer of '90! But that that last part is a saying I use almost every day with my hair salon clients...so our twisted minds apparently still work along the same winding path. When one of my clients who is a bit, shall we say, more mature, asks for some cute little style she saw on some 16 year old "it girl", my response "Desperation is never pretty!" It says it in a way that is never questioned. This is great so far...keep it up.

    ReplyDelete